29 July 2007

I'm Back

I am back from my trip to Matacanes.

Out of a total of 30 jumps into water, I managed to do 27 and a half. I had to skip some of them, more out of the fact that too much water had entered my mouth, my sinusitis and I was weary from trying to keep myself afloat; than the fear of the jump itself. I did have a precarious slip (almost certain death according to those who were watching me slip) in my very first jump itself, but I guess mother earth and motherland Madras have to tolerate me for some more time ;-)

Mark my words when I say this -- you need to be physically very fit and preferably know swimming well to complete this trip. This trip is a one-way traffic. If you start it, there is no other option but to finish it. Also, five jumps into the water is compulsory, with the least altitude among them being 30 feet, and a jump into pitch black darkness, being the other.

Photos and detailed trip report in the next few days.

I think I now realize when people say things like "Strike when the iron is hot" and other proverbs. For ten years, I had the chance to learn swimming from my grandmother in the cauvery river, but blew it all up without realizing how important it is. In one of those swimming lessons she was giving me, I embarrassed her by crying out for help ! If I had known swimming, this trip would have been an even more enjoyable one. And then again, swimming is a more complete exercise than anything I have encountered so far.

K.Shyam

Tags: ,

Posted by Unknown at 7:41 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Balaji Chitra Ganesan posted at Monday, July 30, 2007 at 7:20:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    yep! I have joined a swimming class here at the YMCA. Looking forward to the photos.
  2. Blogger Madhu posted at Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 10:34:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    I read about Matacanes and its freaking amazing. One kind request though, please change the template of your blog as it sucks big time. It looks cluttered.

Post a Comment

« Home