19 October 2007

Rewind

I was in sixth standard at that time. I think it was either 1988 August or 1989 January. The school in which I was studying, Jawahar Vidyalaya, used to have a unique system of engaging the students during the academic year, extra curricular activities, so they used to call it.

The activities were either cultural or project work types. Hence, we used to have things like fancy dress competition, music competition, quiz, debates and so on for one year and the next year, it used to be project work. It is a different issue that when I was in class eleventh, it was the silver jubilee year of our school and to comomerate that, we requested/begged/cajoled the teachers to have cultural activities instead of project work and hence, we had cultural activities for two consecutive years.

More on that in a different blog post. When I was in sixth, naturally enough, the twelfth standard students, being their final year in school, took part in cultural activities with great enthusiasm.

And in one of those music competitions, one of the students played this song on the keyboards. Sundar was his name. Heck, I even remember the song, the jam packed audience which was listening to him play this song on the keyboard, the encore he gave with a few more songs after winning the first prize, all of them are still right there, fresh in front of my eyes !

This is that song



The best part was that he had a classmate called Ayyasami, whom I later bumped into during several quizzes in Madras. He was ribbed around using this song, which incidentally also marked the debut of, what was perhaps the first kodi-katti-parandha (exceedingly famous) heroine from up north, Kushboo.



I guess there is no need to even guess the common thread that runs between these songs, King Illayaraja !

K.Shyam

Tags: ,

Posted by Unknown at 10:45 AM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger AC posted at Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 8:28:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    Hello.

    This comment is irrelevant to your post, but I don't know where to post it so posting it here.

    Gajabhuja doesn't mean Elephant Trunk it means Elephant Hand. Bhuja / புஜ /భుజ / ഭുജ / ಭುಜ / भुज means hand. You might know the goddesses are called Ashtabhuja (8 hands) Ashtadashabhuja (18 hands) and there are Dashabhuja (10 hands) Ganesha temples all over the North India.

    Trunk is Shunda / ஷுண்ட / శుండ / ശുണ്ഡ / ಶುಂಡ / शुण्ड in Samskrit.

    I don't know how I came to your blog, but I found it interesting. Keep it going. Just wanted to let you know this. Thanks.

    - Amith Chandhran.
  2. Blogger The Talkative Man posted at Sunday, October 21, 2007 at 9:42:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    JV-na mathan ragavan theriyuma?

    Wherever you go, i seem to know somebody from there :) :)
  3. Blogger Unknown posted at Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 9:57:00 PM GMT+5:30  
    Amrith: Is it ? Let me check those sources which gave me this info ;-)

    Yeah, I remember now. In some sense, the elephant uses the trunk as its hand ;-)

    TTM: Ulagam ooru kadugu ;-) Which year did he pass out ?

    K.Shyam
  4. Blogger The Talkative Man posted at Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 8:11:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    Somewhere between '88-90 I think. More famously, the founder of raaja.com :-)

    Ulagam oru kadugu - it's reassuring to know that particularly when stuck in a small place like Mexico :)
  5. Blogger Unknown posted at Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 7:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
    TTM: No idea. But, when I imagine that my school alumni is the founder of such a website, ore proudness comes ;-)

    K.Shyam

Post a Comment

« Home