19 January 2007

Moving to Mac a.k.a ஆத்தா நான் மாறிட்டேன்



Well, as the title says, I am getting my MacBookPro. It is a 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM. Now, why did i choose this ? Coz the next version comes with a 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and has 2GB of RAM. This version is 500$ more than the one i have bought. But, if i buy RAM from Here, i can get a 1GB RAM for just 100$. This would mean that i would be paying 400$ more for an increase of just 0.16Ghz processing power. Not worth it.

Over the next few days, i will post my experiences with it.

Many thanks go out to Rajesh, my co-goon from Here, for helping me out by providing a US shipping address for it ! While it would mean that i have to do a 7 hour bus ride to go and pick it up, it is anyway worth it.

This _does not_ mean that i will be abandoing linux. After all, i learn't my ropes of computers & programming using it. And one should not forget one's roots so easily. So, i will be installing linux into this along with OSX. All these days, i used to have Windows and Linux in my laptop. Time to have OSX and Linux in my laptop. Which is also why this post is titled Moving to Mac and not Switching to Mac ;-)

I think it is now time to join This ;-).

Update: And my friend tells me this when i tell him i am getting a Mac. "The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten" ;-) How very apt for the Mac.

As in the tagline for the Ujala Blue a few years back: எல்லோரும் Mac Laptopகு மறாராங்க. அப்போ நீங்க ? ;-)

K.Shyam
PS: Oh yes, the price tag is a little hefty, but what the heck ;-)
Tags: ,

Posted by Unknown at 9:58 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Balaji Chitra Ganesan posted at Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 8:00:00 AM GMT+5:30  
    i intend to stay with my Thinkpad. but your 'bitterness' quote is spot on. why would a cs guy who spends all his awake time in front of a laptop opt for a 'dell stone'?
  2. Blogger Unknown posted at Tuesday, January 30, 2007 at 8:38:00 PM GMT+5:30  
    precisely. But there are people who swear by the dell too ;-)

Post a Comment

« Home