30 November 2009

Memories

Before I got bit by the travel bug, a typical weekend, if I am in Madras, would mean relaxing in front of the Television and getting myself stuffed with all the nonsense they show in the name of a movie.

Last weekend, I managed to reprise it. I was, as usual, doing my channel surfing thing, where you do not see any movie in full.

This song was playing in some obscure channel.

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA



It suddenly stuck a chord in me. I have heard it for sure. The orchestration and interludes seemed so similar to Illayaraja's.

Google to the rescue.

This song is from the movie Ullathil Nalla Ullam, some obscure movie starring Vijayakanth and Radha, scored by Gangai Amaran, Illayaraja's brother (music does seem to be in their genes). It was directed by current comedian, Manivannan. Obviously enough, with just a few scenes, I could judge that the movie must have sank without a trace.

I then started racking my memory for a time frame in which I have listened to this song. I know for sure that I have listened to it sometime ago, but I was unable to place it.

And then it came to me in a flash. I was studying eleventh grade when Radio Ceylon picked up some real momentum and use to play some nice songs. That is my first recollection of listening to this song.

Shyam

PS: NO. I am not making up about my memories. I can still reel of some really obscure songs which I have been searching for years. Here is one: "O radha O radha, kooda va; poomalai naan thanae soodava; kadhal ennum mandhiram, kaadhil sonna kannanae;". I will post one such song, which I was successful in collecting, tomorrow.

PPS: Gowri Manohari is another of those obscure movies with nice songs that I remember about. However, victory is mine, and I have all those songs, thanks to some Sri Lankans living in Norway.

PPPS: That is the power of Illayaraja, or rather, his family, or, oh well, the musicians of 80's.

Posted by Unknown at 11:56 AM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger The Talkative Man posted at Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 12:28:00 PM GMT+5:30  
    Check this for some rollicking compositions of Amaran...he had such a haunting feel on all his melodies.
  2. Blogger Onion Insights posted at Friday, December 4, 2009 at 5:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
    Hello K Shym,

    We are looking for Freelance Mystery Shoppers who can earn some quick money by writing Reviews. For more details, write to us on support@onioninsights.com or call on 09769781001

    Regards,

    The Onion Insights Team

Post a Comment

« Home